(On Demand) Sequence III: Ethical Decision Making and Risk Management in Clinical Practice
Featuring Jeffrey N. Younggren, Ph.D., ABPP
Length: 6 hours
CE Hours: 6
Presented by The Trust and The Trust Practice and Risk Management Association (TrustPARMA)
(O- Demand) Sequence III: Ethical Decision Making and Risk Management in Clinical Practice
- 6 Ethics Continuing Education Credits*
- 15% off Trust Sponsored Professional Liability Policy premium
(for 2 consecutive renewals at policy renewal).
$175 – Insured through The Trust Sponsored Professional Liability Program
$250 – Non-insureds
Ethical Decision Making and Risk Management in Clinical Practice
Today, psychologists practice with increased ethical and legal attention in order to reduce the likelihood that disciplinary complaints or malpractice suits may be filed against them.
Psychologists must learn new strategies on how to deal with these challenges should they occur. Many “rule based” risk management strategies have been developed to give psychologists concrete guidance for dealing with potential disciplinary actions and civil suits. Consequently, some psychologists have lost sight of the fundamentals of ethical decision-making and clamor for “cookbook approaches” to risk management. In their desire to solve any problem quickly, they no longer engage in an active decision-making process when faced with difficult issues.
This workshop focuses on the fundamental “how tos” of ethical decision making when confronted by ethical dilemmas. Attendees will become familiar with the fundamental tenets of health care ethics and how they apply to the practice of psychology. They will also review the basic legal strategies and ethical principles that apply to psychological practice. Finally, all participants will have the opportunity to apply the principles to specific ethical dilemmas in small group discussions. These discussions will focus on resolving specific case examples in a fashion consistent with the fundamentals of good clinical practice.
Familiarity with the fundamentals of ethical philosophy that are the foundation of all health care ethics codes
- Understanding of how these fundamentals drive the development of ethics codes and professional standards
- Recognition of where these fundamentals are specifically expressed in the law and in the 2002 APA Ethics Code
- Knowledge of the primary provisions of the 2002 APA Ethics Code
- Awareness of how the law impacts ethics codes and the relationship of ethics to law
- Expertise in how to use the ethical fundamentals in decision-making
- Interaction with other colleagues on specific ethical dilemmas, arriving at ethically based decisions on how to deal with difficult cases
Continuing Education Credits
Ethical Decision Making and Risk Management in Clinical Practice is sponsored by The Trust and TrustPARMA. The Trust is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Trust maintains responsibility for this program and its content. No refunds will be offered for this workshop. Grievances about the workshop may be addressed to The Trust.
* Please check your state’s continuing education requirements to determine this webinar’s eligibility for ethics continuing education credit.
Because this webinar is on-demand, once you are registered and have created a login account, you can view the webinar at any time in whatever time increments are most convenient (e.g., all 6 hours at once; 3, 2, or 1-hour increments) as often as is needed to complete the sequence. However, APA rules require that in order to download your CE certificate, receive 6 CE credits, and become eligible for the Trust professional liability policy premium discount, you must:
- view the entire webinar sequence,
- pass a webinar exam, and,
- complete a brief evaluation form.
Eligibility for Insurance Premium Discounts:
Completing one of The Trust’s Ethics and Risk Management Webinar sequences earns 6 CE credits and eligibility to receive a 15% premium discount on Trust Sponsored Professional Liability Insurance for the next 2 consecutive policy periods. To obtain CE discounts, download and submit CE certification for this webinar (completed within the previous 15 months) with your insurance application/renewal. The 15% discount is not applicable to Researcher/Academician or Student policies. Group policies become eligible for the CE discount when at least 50% of those insured under the group policy submit CE certification. All applications are individually underwritten and submission of CE certification will not guarantee insurance policy issuance or renewal.
Continuing Education Grievance Policy
The Trust is fully committed to conducting all activities in strict conformance with the American Psychological Association's Ethical Principles of Psychologists. The Trust will comply with all legal and ethical guidelines for non-discrimination in promotional activities, program content and in the treatment of CE participants. The Trust CE Director is responsible for complying with these standards.
While the Trust strives to assure fair treatment for all participants and to anticipate problems before they occur, occasionally grievances may be filed. In cases where a participant files a written or oral grievance, the following actions are taken:
- If the grievance concerns the content of the workshop, webinar, book or the continuing education test, a Trust representative will mediate and will be the final arbitrator. If the participant requests action, the CE Director or a Trust representative will either provide a credit for a subsequent CE offering or provide a partial or full refund of the CE fee already paid.
- Actions involving a credit or a refund will require a written note documenting the grievance for record-keeping purposes. The aggrieved individual need not sign the note. If the grievance specifically concerns The Trust, the CE Director or Trust representative will attempt to arbitrate.
Direct correspondence to:
111 Rockville Pike, Suite 700
Rockville, MD 20850
Phone: (800) 477-1200
- Sequence III - Agenda
- Sequence III - Slides
1 User Review
"Excellent presentation of foundations of ethics in the practice of psychology and application of principles to daily professional situations. Humor woven with material made it memorable and enjoyable! This is an excellent service provided by APAIT!"